Approval of a new energy strategy for the Council including decisions to:
· procure new contracts or a single contract (including authority to spend) for the ongoing supply of gas and electricity to the Council to follow on from the planned expiry of the existing contracts on 31st March 2024;
· procure a medium to long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with a renewable energy generator for the purchase of electricity as part of the Council’s strategy to achieve net zero carbon from its activities;
· commit to delivering a targeted percentage of the Council’s electricity to be supplied through locally based renewables generation;
· amend the Council’s energy purchasing strategy to allow increased forward hedging of energy prices;
· adopt sustainable design principles for all new builds commissioned by the Council to increase energy efficiency and reduce carbon.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Financial Impact>£500K;
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 11/01/2022
Decision due: 9 Feb 2022 by Executive Board
Lead director: Director of Resources
Contact: Polly Cook, Chief Officer Sustainable Energy and Air Quality 01133785845 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consultation will take place via scheduled meetings with the Director of Resources
Director of Resources
Portfolio Holder: Cllr Debra Coupar, Executive Member (Resources) Cllr Helen Hayden, Executive Member (Infrastructure & Climate)