Agenda and minutes

Inner West Community Committee (Workshop 6:00pm - 7:30pm), Inner West Community Committee
Wednesday, 21st March, 2018 6.00 pm

Venue: West Leeds Activity Centre Lenhurst Avenue, Leeds LS12 2RE

Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 37 88656 

Items
No. Item

Co-optees Present

H BoutleArmley

S McBarron – Bramley & Stanningley

Community Safety Workshop

Attending the workshop on Community Safety were:-

Inspector Sarah Towers

PC Jason Chadwick

Gill Hunter – Anti-Social Behaviour Team Manager

Danny Spellman – Anti-Social Behaviour Team Supervisor

Rachel Marshall – Localities Manager

 

The Chair welcomed Sarah to the Community Committee and to the area. It was noted that Sarah was due to take up her post in the area on Monday 26th March 2018.

 

Cllr. Ritchie as the Community Committee Champion for Community Safety gave a brief introduction. Cllr. Ritchie informed the Committee that Community Safety was one of the top priorities for the area. He went on to say that the fear of crime was worse than the reality and encouragement should be given to report crime.

 

Inspector Towers provided Members with an overview of the performance / activity within the Inner West Neighbourhood Policing Team area.

 

It was noted that the Inner West Partnership Ward Area sits within the West Locality Community Safety Partnership and would continue to develop activity and manage performance against Strategic outcomes for the city.

 

The Committee were informed that Safer Leeds had agreed the priorities for 2017/18 with a focus on the key themes below:

·  Anti-Social Behaviour

·  Domestic Violence and Abuse

·  Hate Crime/ Community Tensions

·  Offending Behaviours

·  Serious Acquisitive Crime

·  Vulnerable Victims

 

Members of the Committee were informed that Inner West Neighbourhood Policing Team Priorities were as follows:-

·  Burglary

·  Theft from Motor Vehicles

·  Anti-Social Behaviour

 

Members noted the statistics on the priorities listed as presented at the workshop.

 

The workshop discussed the details of issues within each of the ward areas.

 

The Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team presented their report as submitted. Members were provided with an update on the work of the Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team and their work with partner agencies and support services.

 

The Committee were provided with a brief introduction on the Priority Neighbourhood work in New Wortley with the assistance of partnership working.

 

Members were informed that the work in New Wortley was helping to make people on the estates feel safer.

 

Members heard that a number of events were being planned in the area for the coming year.

 

The Chair thanked the Police and the Officers for their attendance and their presentations.

 

At the conclusion of the workshop the Community Committee went on to the formal business of the Community Committee.

 

 

 

 

39.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Chief Democratic Services Officer at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.

40.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information within the meaning of Section 100I of the Local Government Act 1972, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3 If the recommendation is accepted, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That, in accordance with Regulation 4 of The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012 or Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 as appropriate, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-‘

 

Minutes:

There were no exempt items.

41.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)

Minutes:

There were no late items.

42.

Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.

 

 

Minutes:

No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests were made.

43.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from the following members:-

·  Hannah Bithell, Co-optee - Kirkstall Ward;

·  Kimberly Frangos, Co-opteeArmley Ward;  

·  Annabel Gaskin, Co-optee – Bramley & Stanningley Ward;and

·  Eric Bowes, Co-opteeArmley.

44.

Open Forum / Community Forums

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair.  No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

Minutes:

On this occasion no members of the public wished to speak.

45.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 153 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the Inner West Community Committee held on 29th November 2017.

 

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED - The minutes of the meeting held on 29th November 2018, be approved as a correct record.

46.

Matters Arising

To note any matters arising from the minutes.

Minutes:

In relation to Minute 34 – Leeds Transport Conversation update – Public Transport Investment Programme (£173.5m), Inner West update, and Leeds Transport Strategy development. Members requested a separate meeting to discuss concerns with regards to views expressed by residents against the proposal to install a 24 hour bus lane along the A647.

 

Members also suggested a discussion about CIL.

 

 

 

 

47.

Finance update report pdf icon PDF 326 KB

To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to update Members on the projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing and Youth Activities Fund budgets. The report also provides Members with details of the current financial and monitoring position of the Wellbeing, Youth Activity and Capital fund.

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Area Leader, West North West provided Members with an update on the projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing, Youth Activities Fund and Capital budgets.

 

The report also presented projects for approval and outlined the applications received through the open commissioning round for funding in the 2018/19 financial year.

 

Paragraph 4 of the submitted report set out the remaining balances available per ward for 2017/18. It was noted that these balances may increase due to underspends.

 

The Finance Statement attached at Appendix 1 of the submitted report provided Members with details of the current financial and monitoring position of the Wellbeing Fund and the Youth Activities Fund.

 

Members were asked to consider 2 new Wellbeing applications for 2017/18 set out at paragraphs 7 and 8 of the report:

·  Armley Grit Bins - £1,752 (Armley Ward)

·  Bramley SID’s - £7,100, (Bramley Ward)

 

Members were advised of 2 small grants approved since the last meeting as follows:-

·  Christmas Party for the Elderly/ Adults/ Parents in the Broadleas - £350

·  Bramley Grit Bins Refill - £304

It was noted that the balance of the small grants and skips budget available at 12th March 2018 was £1,268.

 

Members were informed that the current Inner West Capital Receipts Incentive Scheme balance was £36,700.

 

It was noted that since 1st April 2017, the Committee had awarded grants totalling £44,282 to Youth Activities projects in 2017/18. Members noted the balances for each ward as follows:-

·  Armley - £97

·  Bramley & Stanningley - £843

·  Kirkstall - £1,502

 

The Committee was advised that the Inner West Wellbeing indicative budget for 2018/19 was £128,500, as in previous years the Community Committee had opted to split the budget by ward, giving each ward a budget of £42, 833.

 

It was noted that a further injection into the Wellbeing Fund for 2018/19 had been agreed at Executive Board in February 2018. The amount would be confirmed at the next Community Committee in June 2018.

 

The Committee were also advised of the 2018/19 Inner West Wellbeing indicative Youth Activities Fund budget was £34,530. The Committee had also opted to split the budget by ward, giving each ward a budget of £11,510.

 

Ward Members had met in mid-February 2018 to review applications for projects to be funded in 2018/19. The projects recommended for approval were listed at paragraphs 20, 21 and 22 of the submitted report.

 

Members were provided with a brief update on projects in development listed at paragraph 23 of the submitted report:-

·  It was noted that BARCA had accepted a lesser figure of £2,000 as suggested by the Bramley Ward Members to provide Sport in Summer;

·  YMCA Leeds – No response had been received from the YMCA; and

·  Bramley Community Centre – Bramley Elderly Action would remain in development.

 

RESOLVED – To:-

a)  Note the balance of the Wellbeing budget for 2017/18 at paragraph 4 of the submitted report

b)  Approve the new Wellbeing project for 2017/18 at paragraphs 7 and 8 of the submitted report:  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47.

48.

Community Committee Update pdf icon PDF 333 KB

To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to update the Community Committee on the work of the sub groups of the Committee: Children and Young People and Environment. The report also updates the Committee on community events, local projects and partnership working that has taken place in the area since the last meeting.

 

(Report attached)

Minutes:

The report of the West North West Area Leader updated the Community Committee on the work of the sub groups of the Committee: Children and Young People and Environment.

 

The report also updated the Committee on community events, local projects and partnership working that had taken place in the area since the last meeting.

 

The Chair raised concerns at the lack of Members attendance at sub groups and highlighted this as an issue to be raised at the next meeting in June when appointing Community Champions.

 

Cllr. McKenna informed the Committee that he had attended a meeting held at the new BARCA Headquarters. He said that the facilities were very good and BARCA had offered the meeting room for Community Committee use.

 

Cllr. Gruen gave a brief update on a meeting of Children and Young People sub group where an informed discussion had taken place in relation to the performance of schools within the area. Cllr. Gruen expressed her concerns that the schools within the Inner West area were not performing. It was suggested that Members of the Inner West area should consider being on a board of governors to ensure that issues of performance were highlighted and addressed. All those who had attended the meeting agreed that it had been informative.

 

The Community Committee were informed that the Communities Team had received from the Police and Crime Commissioner to create a video campaign that would be used on social media. Students from Leeds West Academy had agreed to act in the video and filming was due to take place in spring 2018.

 

Cllr. Heselwood advised the Committee that although no update on Employment and Skills Sub Group had been provided within the submitted report, Cllr. McKenna and herself were busy in this area of work and said that she would provide an update for the next meeting in June.

 

It was noted that the Hawksworth Wood Hub had opened at the beginning of March. Members heard that a skateboard Park is planned and would open in conjunction with a planned Fun day on 7th July.

 

An update was provided on the work that is taking place in the Wyther Park Estate. It was suggested that the group of volunteers may require some support in the future as it was not sustainable in its current format. 

 

RESOLVED - To note the report including the key outcomes from the sub groups.

49.

Dates, Times and Venue Report pdf icon PDF 456 KB

The report of the City Solicitor is to request Members to give consideration to agreeing the proposed Community Committee meeting schedule for the 2018/2019 municipal year, whilst also considering whether any revisions to the current meeting and venue arrangements should be explored.

 

(Report attached)

Minutes:

The report of the City Solicitor requested Members to give consideration to agreeing the proposed Community Committee meeting schedule for the 2018/19 municipal year, whilst also consider whether any revisions to the current meeting and venue arrangements should be explored.

 

Member’s attention was drawn to paragraph 6 of the submitted report which set out the proposed dates and times for the meeting schedule for 2018/19.

 

RESOLVED – To agree the Committee’s meeting schedule for the 2018/19 municipal year as follows so that it can be included within the Council diary for the same period:-

·  Wednesday 20th June 2018 at 6pm

·  Wednesday 19th September 2018 at 6pm

·  Wednesday 21st November 208 at 6pm

·  Wednesday 20th March 2019 at 6pm

 

Chairs Closing Comments

The Chair informed the Committee that this was Cllr. Yeadon’s last meeting as she was stepping down at the next elections. The Chair thanked Cllr. Yeadon for all her hard work for the Kirkstall Ward and on the Community Committee. She said that Cllr. Yeadon would be especially remembered for all her hard work and support during the Kirkstall floods.

 

The Chair also informed the Committee that this was the meeting that Zoe Tyler, Communities Team Officer would be attending as she was leaving to take up a new role. The Committee thanked Zoe for her hard work supporting the Committee.

 

The Chair thanked everyone for attending.