Agenda and draft minutes

Outer North East Community Committee
Monday, 10th December, 2018 5.30 pm

Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds

Contact: John Grieve 0113 3788662 

Items
No. Item

30.

APPEALS AGAINST REFUSAL OF INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals against the refusal of the inspection of Documents.

 

31.

EXEMPT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as   containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the   public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public   interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the   report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in   respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:

 

 No exempt items or information have been identified on the agenda

 

Minutes:

There were no items identified where it was considered necessary to exclude the press or public from the meeting due to the confidential nature of the business to be considered.

 

32.

LATE ITEMS

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)

 

Minutes:

There were no items of business identified

33.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors: D Cohen, A Lamb and R Stephenson

34.

DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER INTERESTS

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2000 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.  Also to declare any other significant interests which the Member wishes to declare in the public interest, in accordance with paragraphs 19-20 of the Members’ Code of Conduct

Minutes:

There were no declarations of any disclosable pecuniary interests.

 

35.

OPEN FORUM

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Area Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

 

Minutes:

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for Members of the Public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.

 

On this occasion, there were no matters raised under this item by Members of the Public.

 

36.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 355 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held on 17th September 2018.

 

 

(Copy attached)

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 17th September 2018 were confirmed as a true and correct record.

 

37.

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

To consider any matters arising from the minutes (If any)

 

Minutes:

(i)    Leeds District Neighbourhood Policing Enhanced Model (Minute   No.23 (i) referred). With reference to the previous meeting and   the Query raised by Members as to whether the Leeds District   was receiving its fair share of Police Officers, “there was a   suspicion that other authorities were getting more”. Members   asked if details of Police numbers for each authority in the West   Yorkshire area going back 5 years to the present day could be   provided.

 

      An assurance was provided that the requested information         would be provided/ circulated to Members of the Committee.

 

  The Localities Officers confirmed that the requested information   had been received and circulated

 

(ii)    Community Committee Appointments 2018/19 (Minute No. 23   referred) – At a previous meeting Councillor Buckley said that he had been appointed as the Community Committee’s Champion for Health &   Wellbeing. He understood meetings were held on   a quarterly basis but to date no invitation to attend a meeting   had been received.

 

  The Chief Officer, Access & Care Delivery, Adult Social Care was   in attendance at the meeting (in connection with a separate   agenda item) and offered to contact the Director of Public Health   with a view to him providing the required response.

 

  In providing an update, the Localities Officer said that Public     Health had undergone a restructure and that there were   previously four Health and Wellbeing partnerships in East Leeds,   this was now reduced to two networks focusing on the 10% most   deprived neighbourhoods in East Leeds, covering the Inner East   and Inner North East areas. It was understood that the Moor   Allerton Partnership previously served as a forum for health and   other topics within the Outer North East but meetings for this had   since ceased.

 

  The Area Leader added that there had previously been meetings   for all three Health and Wellbeing Champions in the East North   East of Leeds and agreed to support the Localities Officer to look   into whether these were still taking place and to identify a suitable   mechanism for the Health and Wellbeing Champion to undertake   his role.

 

  Councillor Buckley said it was unsatisfactory to be “cut off without   notice” and requested if inquiries could be made as to who made   the decision to exclude representation from the Outer North East   Area

 

  The Localities officer confirmed the requested inquiries would be   made.

 

(iii)    Economic Development (Minute No.24 referred) – With   reference to the previous meeting and the deferral of this   item to a later date due to the unavailability of the new Chief   Officer for Economic Development.

 

    In providing an update the Localities Officer said the Chief Officer   for Economic Development, Eve Roodhouse would instead now   attend a meeting of the Chair’s Forum

 

(iv)    Strength Based Social Care Across the City (Minute No.25   referred) – With reference to the previous meeting and the   request by Members to receive the following details:

 

·  The contact details for officers working in the Neighbourhood Teams (Team Profiles - 3 areas, 14 Team Managers)

 

·  The staffing formula for the Neighbourhood Care Management Team taking into account population  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37.

38.

Neighbourhood Planning - Update pdf icon PDF 334 KB

To receive a report from the Chief Planning Officer which provides an update on Neighbourhood Planning Activity in the Outer North East Area.

 

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Planning Officer submitted a report which provided an update on the neighbourhood planning activity in the Outer North East area of the city.

 

Ian Mackay, Neighbourhood Planning Officer, City Development addressed the Committee providing an update and commentary on the following:

 

Made Neighbourhood Plans in Outer North East:

 

·  Alwoodley

·  Bardsey-cum-Rigton

·  Barwick in Elmet and Scholes

·  Boston Spa

·  Clifford

·  Collingham

·  Linton

·  Thorp Arch

·  Walton

Alwoodley

 

It was reported that discussions had been taking place between Officers, Members and the Parish Council. The Parish Council was considering a Selective Review of the Neighbourhood Plan and would be looking into this further early in 2019.

 

Members were informed that a Selective Review was an unusual situation, very few had been undertaken. It would be for the Examiner to decide if the Parish Council were seeking a significant policy change, if yes a second referendum would need to take place. Currently awaiting a decision from the Parish Council as to how to proceed.

 

Walton

 

Stage: Made

 

·  The Walton Neighbourhood Plan went to a referendum on Thursday 20th September. The referendum results were as follows:

Response

Votes

Yes

106 (90.6%)

No

11 (9.4%)

Turnout

67.6%

 

·  The Plan was subsequently made by the Council on 24th October 2018 and would be used to help determine planning applications in the Walton Neighbourhood Area.

 

Scarcroft

 

Stage: Examination

 

Terry Heselton had undertaken the independent examination of the Scarcroft Neighbourhood Plan. The examiner’s report recommended that subject to proposed modifications being made, the Plan could proceed to a referendum.

 

·  A Decision Statement would be published shortly that would set out the examiner’s recommended modifications and the Council’s response.

·  It was anticipated that the Referendum could take place in mid-February 2019.

 

Bramham-cum-Oglethorpe

 

Stage: Post-Examination

 

·  Chris Collison had undertaken the independent examination of the Bramham Neighbourhood Plan. The examiner’s report recommended that subject to proposed modifications being made the Plan could proceed to referendum.

·  A Decision Statement had been published that sets out the examiner’s recommended modifications and the Council’s response. It also agreed that the Plan could proceed to a referendum.

·  It was anticipated that the Referendum could take place in mid-February 2019, on the same date as the Scarcroft Referendum.

Aberford and District

 

Stage: Examination

 

·  Ann Skippers had been appointed to undertake the examination on the draft Neighbourhood Plan.

·  Due to an EU Court of Justice Judgement which officers updated on at the previous Committee Meeting, the examination of the Aberford Neighbourhood Plan had been delayed. Officers would update Members as the examination process moves forward and would continue to liaise with the Parish Council to resolve this issue.

Wetherby

 

Stage: to be Submitted for Examination

 

·  Terry Heselton had been appointed as the independent examiner for the Plan.

·  The Town Council would be submitting the Plan shortly, officers had been working with the Town Council in order to finalise the neighbourhood plan submission documents.

Other Neighbourhood Plans in Preparation

 

·  Shadwell Parish Council conducted Pre-Submission Consultation on their Neighbourhood Plan between 22nd October and 3  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

39.

Universal Credit - Presentation pdf icon PDF 334 KB

To receive a presentation from Allison Long from the Department of Work and Pensions which provides an update on the introduction of Universal Credit.

 

 

Minutes:

The Chair introduced and welcomed Allison Long, Partnership Manager, Department of Work and Pensions and Pamela Parker, Area Housing Manager, Resources & Housing.

 

Allison Long provided an overview of what and how the changes would affect people in Leeds.

 

Members were informed that this was the biggest welfare change for 60 years with Universal Credit replacing 6 welfare benefits:

 

·  Income related Employment and Support Allowance

·  Working Tax Credits

·  Income Support

·  Child TAX Credits

·  Income based job seekers allowance

·  Housing benefit

 

Claimants would receive one payment, paid monthly, for people in and out of work, use of PAYE for real time information (RTI).

 

Members were made aware of:

 

·  When do you claim Universal Credit

·  The Claimant Journey

·  Universal Credit is a simplification of the benefit system

·  A pathway to opening up work

·  The 2017 Autumn Budget changes continue to define the benefit itself

·  The 2018 Autumn Budget changes/ consolidates the direction of travel

·  Assisted Digital Support/ how to make a claim

·  Supporting claimants with complex needs

·  Alternative Payment Arrangements

 

Commenting specifically about the service operating in the Outer North East area, Pamela Parker, Area Housing Manager, said to date there were 50 claimants in the area: Alwoodley 28, Harewood 6 and Wetherby 16.

 

Assistance/ support had been delivered as follows:

 

·  Advice & Guidance provided – 19

·  Standard Offer of assistance – 13

·  Alternative Payment Arrangements in Place.  (APA)   – 15

·  Customers where contact needed to be made – 18 

 

Members were informed that Housing Leeds provided support to tenants to make the claim and ensure longer term support was in place to allow them to sustain their claim. It was also noted that there was an “Enhanced Service” for individuals / families who presents themselves as having:

 

  • Limited or no access and or ability to use online services
  • Numerous outstanding financial liabilities and may not have bank account and may have budgeting needs
  • Have significant or multiple declared support needs
  • Significantly Impacted by Benefit Cap
  • Possession action in place (Had court hearing date due or Possession Order in place)

 

Members raised the issue of sanctions (many claimants suggesting payments were delayed due to sanctions) and queried where information on sanctions could be obtained.

 

In responding Allison Long together with her colleague Simon Betts from the Department of Work and Pensions said they both could supply information on sanctions.

 

The roll out of Universal Credit, when would it be completed.

 

Members were informed that Universal Credit should be completed by 2023. 

 

Within the presentation, help and advice could be obtained from the local Job Centre. For residents of the Outer North East area where was the nearest Job Centre located.

 

Members were informed that the nearest Job Centre was located in Seacroft for residents of the Outer North East area.

 

The Chair thanked Allison Long and Pamela Parker for their attendance and presentation commenting it was interesting and informative.

 

RESOLVED – That the contents of the presentation be noted.

 

40.

Youth Work Review pdf icon PDF 540 KB

To consider a report by the Head of Commissioning, Children and Families which presents the findings of the Youth Work Review and the recommended option for future commissioning arrangements.

The report seeks the views of Members on the contents of the report and the recommended future commissioning arrangements.

 

(Report attached)

 

 

Minutes:

The Chair introduced and welcomed Andrea Richardson, Head of Service Learning for Life, Children & Families and Kate Sibson, Head of Commissioning, Children’s & Families who spoke on the findings of the Youth Work Review and the recommended option for future commissioning arrangements.

 

In addition to the main report the following documents were appended for information/ comment of the meeting:

 

·  Budget breakdowns for 2018/19 (Current) and 2020/21 (post review)

·  Needs Analysis – population, persistent absence, attainment, NEET, youth crime

 

Kate Sibson, Commissioning Manager, explained the background to the report and the main issues to be considered which included the following:

 

·  The current services that were provided

·  The findings of the review

·  Nine conclusions were brought forward based on the data and feedback from the consultation (These conclusions formed the basis of the proposed commissioning model)

·  The recommended Commissioning Model

·  The perceived benefits of the proposed commissioning model

·  The role of the Community Committee

·  Next steps

·  Interim arrangements

 

Referring to the Outline Youth Work Budget (Table 2) and the Transitional Youth Inclusion Commission allocation of £10,451, Members queried if this sum was for all three wards.

 

Members were informed that the sum of £10,451 was the total allocation for all three wards. The intension was to target resources to areas where they were most needed (Cranmers and Lingfield estates for example)

 

Members queried if resources could be targeted to particular areas.

 

In responding Members were advised that there would be a city wide commissioning process and anyone could bid. One suggestion was to approach consortiums with local knowledge to identify areas of greatest need.

 

Members suggested that in the past the Moor Allerton Partnership had provided such local knowledge.

 

The Chair thanked Andrea Richardson and Kate Sibson for their attendance and presentation suggesting Members appeared to be supportive of the recommended future commissioning arrangements

 

RESOLVED –

 

(i)   That the contents of the report be noted

 

(ii)  To support the recommended future commissioning arrangements

41.

Community Committee - Update Report pdf icon PDF 711 KB

To consider a report by the Outer North East Area Leader which provides an update on the on-going Work Programme of the Outer North East Community Committee.

 

 

(Report attached)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Area Leader submitted a report which provided an update on the Work Programme for the Outer North East Community Committee

 

The following document was appended to the report for information/ comment of the meeting:

 

·  Christmas Bin Collections - 24th December to 6th January 2019 (Appendix 1 referred)

 

Grace Lawrenson, Localities Officer, presented the report and highlighted the main issues which included:

 

·  The Environmental Sub Group held on 18th October 2019

·  Changes to Bin Collection over the Christmas period

·  Parish and Town Council Forum held on 22nd November 2018

·  Boston Spa Weekend – Live music and activities run by Boston Spa Parish Council

·  Wetherby Festival – A three day festival of arts, cultural and Community activities held between 12th  - 14th October 2018

·  Moortown West Christmas Light Switch On  - 8th December 2018

·  Social Media presence on Twitter and Facebook

 

RESOLVED – That the contents of the report be noted

 

42.

Outer North East - Finance Report pdf icon PDF 473 KB

To receive a report by the Outer North East Area Leader which provides an update on the current position of the Outer North East Community Committee’s budgets and sets out details of applications seeking Wellbeing Revenue Funding and Youth Activity Funding.

 

 

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Area Leader submitted a report which provided an update on the current position of the Outer North East Community Committee’s budgets and set out details of applications seeking Wellbeing Revenue Funding and Youth Activity Funding.

 

Appended to the report were copies of the following documents for information / comment of the meeting:

 

·  An explanation on capital funding and eligible schemes (Appendix A referred)

 

·  The current CIL Neighbourhood Fund balance for Town and Parishes with a Neighbourhood Plan (Appendix B referred)

 

·  Guidance on CIL (Appendix C referred)

 

·  Applications seeking Wellbeing Revenue Funding (Appendix D referred)

 

·  Applications seeking Youth Activity Funding (Appendix E)

 

Grace Lawrenson, Localities Officer, presented the report and responded to Members comments and queries.

 

Detailed discussion ensued on the contents of the report together with the appendices which included:

 

·  Available funding for the current financial year.

·  Clarification around some of the projects seeking financial assistance.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(i)  To note the current budget position for 2018/19.

 

(ii)  To note the CIL Neighbourhood Fund balance for the Outer North East Community Committee as referred to in paragraph 9 of the submitted report

 

(iii)  To note the CIL Neighbourhood Fund balance for Towns and Parishes with and without a Neighbourhood Plan as detailed in paragraph 10 of the submitted report

 

(iv)  That the following projects requesting Wellbeing Funding/ Youth Activity Funding be determined as follows:

 

Project

Organisation

Amount Granted (£)

 

Group Activities

 

Moortown West Residents Association

 

Application supported in full - £600

 

 

Cinema Club

 

Shadwell Village Hall

 

Application supported by MICE Funding £1,438

 

 

Boston Spa Bowling Club Extension

 

Boston Spa Bowling Club

 

Application supported in full with additional £10,000 due to being unable to secure other funding - £16,815 (Wellbeing Revenue £6815 and CRIS £10,000)

 

 

Wetherby Development Fund

 

War Member Project

 

£10,000 Wellbeing revenue funding be added to the project pot

 

 

Clifford Village Hall Extension

 

Clifford Village Hall

 

Deferred pending further discussions

 

 

Cricket Coaching

 

Scarcroft Cricket Club

 

Application supported in full £1440

 

 

Pitch Hire

 

Wetherby Athletics Ladies FC

 

Application supported in full £782

 

 

 

(v)  To note that no applications had been approved since the Community Committee in September 2018 under the delegated authority of the Director of Communities and Environment

 

43.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting will take place on Monday, 11th March 2019 at 5.30pm (Venue to be confirmed)

Minutes:

RESOLVED – To note that the next meeting of the Committee will take place on Monday 11th March 2019.

 

(All meetings to commence at 5.30pm, venue to be confirmed at a later date)