Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – To elect Councillor B Garner as the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There was no exempt information.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
To consider the report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory), including an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mohammed Faisal Rashid, forLa La's 501 Bradford Road, Stanningley, Pudsey, LS28 8EE.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory presented an application for the grant of a new premises licence made by Mohammed Faisal Rashid, for La La's, 501 Bradford Road, Stanningley, Pudsey, LS28 8EE, and proposed to operate as a restaurant with available function rooms.
In summary, the application sought to provide:
· Sale by Retail of Alcohol
Mon - Thurs 12:00 - 00:45
Fri - Sun 12:00 - 01:00
· Late Night Refreshment
Mon - Thurs 23:00 - 00:45
Fri - Sun 23:00 - 01:00
Every Day 18:30 - 22:00
· Recorded Music
Every Day 12:00 - 00:45
Representations had been received from West Yorkshire Police and Environmental Health in their capacity as a responsible authority. Members were informed that measures had been agreed with both responsible authorities, and copies of the agreements could be found at appendix C and D of the submitted report.
Further to this, a representation from a member of the public was still outstanding, which opposes this application on the grounds of public nuisance.
In attendance at the meeting were:
Mohammed Faisal Rashid, Proposed licence Holder
Graham Goldsborough, Licence Holders Agent
Jacob Hamilton, Observing
Richard Beecham, Press
Mr Goldsborough informed the Licensing-Sub Committee of the following:
· The premise originally traded as The Farmers, for approximately 14 years before being converted into a restaurant;
· In February 2018, the premises traded under the name of Papaya, but shortly followed with financial difficulties and eventually closed;
· La La’s have branches in Wakefield, Batley and Huddersfield, and is currently operated by Mr Rashid’s father;
· Mr Rashid has held a personal licence for 10 years, and has had effective control over the other 3 premises;
· It was highlighted that the Bradford premises closed 2 years ago, and was intended to re-locate on the outskirts;
· Previous staff from the Bradford premises would be re-located from Huddersfield and Wakefield, to the proposed Pudsey premises. Additionally, the recruits from these premises had 10 years’ experience in key positions;
· There are no objections from responsible authorities, and the agreed measures would be worked with, to ensure the licensing objectives are met;
· The submitted objection related to a premises further down the road, which was nearer to the objectors home address;
· It was confirmed that live music would be for special occasions, and background music would be low-key;
· This would be a family orientated restaurant, with manageable door-staff.
In responding to Members comments and concerns, the following was confirmed:
· There is a big car park, adequate for 120 guests;
· Families seeking a wedding reception would be directed to the La La Banqueting Suites, in Bradford;
· The smoking area was to the front, due to neighbours being to the side of the premises;
· Door staff will be enforcing issues relating to noise, and signs would be displayed;
· The use of fireworks was not intended.
The Sub-Committee carefully considered the information submitted, both written and oral, and
RESOLVED – That the application be granted as applied for, with the additional conditions as agreed with the ... view the full minutes text for item 13.