Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor A Hutchison be elected as Chair for the hearing.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
No declarations were made.
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory regarding an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment License for Silks, 2 Sovereign Place, Leeds, LS1 4SP
The Licensing Officer presented the application. The licence was to cover the ground and first floors of the building and the hours of operation were from 22:00 to 04:00 on Sunday to Thursday and 22:00 to 05:00 on Friday and Saturday.
Although there had not been any representations made in response to the application, the Sub-Committee was legally required to determine the application.
The applicant’s representative addressed the Sub-Committee. The following was highlighted:
· Silks had operated as a Sexual Entertainment Establishment from these premises since 2009 and had held a licence since 2011.
· The licence had been renewed annually as one of the four permitted to operate in Leeds City Centre.
· There had not been any changes to the locality, style of operation or external appearance of the premises since the last renewal.
· When closed, the premises appeared inconspicuous from the street.
· There had not been any objections to this application.
· There were no objections from West Yorkshire Police and there never had been.
· The premises were in a suitable location for a Sexual Entertainment Establishment.
· The nearest sensitive location was Sovereign Square Park and there had not been any issues with regards to this location or the premises.
· The lack of any representations indicated that there were no mandatory or discretionary grounds for refusal and it was requested that the application be granted as applied for.
In response to questions, the following was discussed:
· The applicant’s representative would feedback to their client concerns regarding the use of the word ‘girls’ in the clubs policy documents.
· The club was currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic and there was not yet any indication as to when they would be able to re-open. There would be a full covid risk assessment undertaken when the club was allowed to re-open.
The Licensing Sub-Committee carefully considered the application, the report and the representations made at the hearing.
RESOLVED – That the application for renewal be granted as applied for.