Venue: Greenacre Hall - 55 New Rd Side, Rawdon, Leeds LS19 6DD
Contact: Debbie Oldham on 0113 37 88656
APPEALS AGAINST REFUSAL OF INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the
press and public will be excluded). (*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
EXEMPT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of
exempt information, as follows:-
There were no exempt items.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration (The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)
There were no late formal items. However, with the permission of the Chair supplementary information was circulated to Members in relation to Agenda Item 8 – Finance Update Report. It was noted that the Chair expressed his disappointment that there was supplementary information in relation to Wellbeing Fund applications. He requested that Members should ensure that applications were put forward in a timely manner in future.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS’
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.
Apologies For Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllr Shemilt.
To consider the minutes of the meeting held on 20th September 2021, for approval as a correct record.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the 20th September 2021 be approved as a correct record.
Minute 10 – Finance Report presented to the July 2021 meeting.
Members had received information sought in relation to the amount of Council Tax being generated in each ward and to identify where the monies were being generated. However, Members now wished to know specific elements of the breakdown including, fire, police, parish, highways and education.
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
On this occasion there were no members of the public at the meeting.
The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provides the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Capital Budget, as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2021/22.
The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Capital Budget, as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2021/22.
Members were informed of the following points:
· The remaining balance of the Wellbeing Budget is currently £110,309.41. A full breakdown of the projects was listed at Table 1.
· Members were requested to consider the following projects:
o Increase to Community Engagement Budget – £250 was requested by Leeds City Council, Communities Team, it was noted that the money was used to cover meeting rooms. Members requested that teas and coffees be provided. £250 approved from Wellbeing fund to Communities Team
o Upgrade to the facilities requested by Arthington Village Hall – Amount requested was £7,000. Members noted that this had been delayed for 4 months. In considering this application Cllr B Anderson put forward a proposal to fund £6,000 with the aim that the HAP could potentially be able to support the project with the other £1,000. Following this, the Chair then put the amended proposal for the provision of £6,000 Wellbeing funding to the vote and this was carried. As such, it was resolved that £6,000 be allocated to Arthington Village Hall. It was requested that it be noted Cllr Flynn voted that the application should receive the full amount requested, as it was his view that £6,000 was not enough to support the project. It was noted that the Chair put the vote to all Members of the Community Committee. However only the Adel and Wharfedale Members took part in the vote with the other Members abstaining.
o Horsforth TRO – Leeds City Council, Highways and Transportation requested £5,000. The amount of £5,000 was approved from the Wellbeing fund.
o Horsforth Improved footway provision – Leeds City Council, Highways and Transportation requested £6,000 for overlaying. £6,000 was approved from the Wellbeing fund
o Newlaithes Playground – Leeds City Council, Parks and Countryside requested £6,484.66. This was not approved as Members were advised that funding had been found from elsewhere.
o Otley and Yeadon CCTV – Leeds City Council, Leedswatch requested £8,000. This was deferred for further information. It was noted that a meeting was to be arranged with the Otley and Yeadon Ward Members and Leedswatch to discuss the 8 cameras.
o Horsforth CCTV – Leeds City Council, Leedswatch requested £2,000. This was deferred for further information. It was noted that a meeting was to be arranged with Horsforth Ward Members and Leedswatch to discuss the 2 cameras.
o Yeadon Christmas Lights – The New Yeadon Christmas Lights Committee requested £2,000. Members approved £2,000 from Wellbeing fund.
o Provision of new equipment at parish playground – Pool-in-Wharfedale requested £6,000. Members approved £6,000 from Wellbeing fund.
o Do not park on the grass verge signs – City Signs, Leeds City Council requested £620. £620 was approved from Wellbeing fund.
o Adel and Wharfedale SID’s – Leeds City Council, Highways and Transportation ... view the full minutes text for item 34.
The report of the Chief Officer for Sustainable Energy and Air Quality provides the Outer North West Community Committee with a presentation on the council’s updated climate emergency strategy and progress.
The report of the Chief Officer for Sustainable Energy and Air Quality provided an update for the Outer North West on the climate emergency strategy and progress, with a focus on the local Outer North West area.
Members were provided with the following information:
· £25m has been secured for de-carbonisation of the corporate estate and schools and included solar panels and LED lighting. It was noted that this had to be taken without any consultation due to limited timescales for the bidding process.
· Aireborough Leisure Centre has been fitted with Solar Panels and an Air Source Heat Pump. It was noted that this would assist in reducing carbonisation. There would be no increase in heating bills these would remain the same.
· Many sites across Leeds need heating upgrades and the Council were looking to use solar panels and air source heat pumps. Members were advised that savings would be made by not using Capital Money and the team were looking to secure funding from Government through a bidding process.
· It was noted that using air source heat pumps provided comfortable heat conditions. Members were informed that many other countries have been using this type of heating for 25 years and air source heat pumps are now much cheaper to produce and supply. Grant funding for fitting air source heat pumps is available from Government. It was also noted that work was on going for re-skilling heating engineers.
· The team would be happy to take Members to a local site to look at the technology and give a briefing of how the system works. Training and briefing sessions were available. It is important to inform residents what the Council is doing in relation to air source heat pumps and solar panels across the city. It was noted that upgrades were not being paid for from Council Tax.
· Members had sympathy with officers trying to secure bids and understood that there was sometimes no consultation due to short timescales. Members were advised of the processes that officers deal with including criteria for the bidding process. However, it was not possible to foresee if the criteria would change and officers need to be prepared for short bidding timescales.
· In relation to upgrades of community facilities such as community halls and theatres, Members were advised that they would receive match funding. It was noted that upgrades had been possible for such as Aireborough Leisure Centre, Spring Gardens and Suffolk Court as the heating had required replacing.
· Members were advised that air source heat pumps required cheap electricity which could be supplied by solar panels or similar.
· Planning officers are looking to address issues of energy efficient systems when developers submit plans for new developments.
· Air source heat pumps can work to -11degress Celsius and constantly renews itself.
· Grant funding is available for homes where owner’s salaries are under £30,000 to be fitted with free solar panels. It was noted that the team would do the assessments.
· It was noted that 8 electric vehicle points ... view the full minutes text for item 35.
The report of the Service Manager Environmental Services is to provide the Outer North West Community Committee with a verbal update in relation to Parking Enforcement in Outer North West.
The Service Manager Environmental Services provided a verbal update to the Outer North West Community Committee in relation to parking enforcement in the area.
Members were provided with the following information:
· It was acknowledged that the service during lockdown had not been able to provide the usual level of service this was due to staffing resources through covid. Members were advised that resources were now increasing, and services were now improving.
· Parking enforcement is organised on a beat system with a defined area for the Civil Enforcement Officer to cover in each district such as short stay car parks. However, they can be called upon to look at other areas where issues have been highlighted such as schools. It was noted that since Covid there has been an increase in parking issues outside schools. Difficulties in enforcing parking restrictions were provided to the Committee.
· Where issues are highlighted outside business premises plain clothes officers can be used to try and catch the offenders. However, these officers are unable to issue tickets as they need to be issued by an officer in uniform.
· Members discussed specific issues within their own wards and were provided with clarification on what Civil Enforcement Officers can do and what the Police can do. It was suggested that more clarification was required so that residents were aware of the differences in what enforcement each service can provide. Members suggested that the legislation in relation to obstruction should be brought to Scrutiny as part of an inquiry into road safety
· It was noted that the city centre is given priority and with reduced staff this has meant that local areas have not had the service that they have been used to. With more staff coming back to work it was the view that issues in the local area would be addressed.
· Members were advised that additional Civil Enforcement Officer time could be provided but it would require funding. Operating hours could be changed to address specific issues.
· It was advised that the only red route was round the airport as it currently has dispensation for terrorist attacks.
The officer was thanked for his attendance and update.
RESOLVED – To note the content of the report and the verbal update.
Cllr B Anderson briefing vacated the meeting at 15:55 until 16:05 during this item.
Cllrs Collins and Downes left the meeting at 16:10 at the end of this item.
The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships brings to members’ attention an update of the work which the Communities Team is engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee. It also provides opportunities for further questioning, or to request a more detailed report on a particular issue.
The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided an update of the work the Communities Team has been engaged in, based on the priorities identified by the Community Committee.
The Committee were informed of the following points:
Children and Families
The Children and Families Sub- Group had held 2 meetings to discuss SENSAP.
Cllr Flynn as Children’s Services Champion had received an email from the Executive Member for Communities to advise that Youth Summits should be delayed or postponed. This was as a caution in respect of different schools coming together in relation to the spread of Covid. It was also noted that some resources had been lost from Voice Influence Team who in the past have supported the Youth Summits.
Members were assured that the Youth Summits would continue. However, they may have to be delayed until next financial year. Members were disappointed that the Youth Summits were not to go ahead at this time but understood the reasons. All Members agreed that Youth Summits should be continued in the future.
Environment and Community Safety
Meetings have been set up with the local Police Inspector to answer some questions in relation to the area.
Parks remains a watching brief as does climate change. The sub-group were also looking at tree planting in the area and maintenance of the trees.
The Transport Sub-Group has scheduled a meeting in January with public transport.
Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care
Cllr Latty report that over the last months most of the updates have been on Covid.
Appended to the report was the social media update which provided the Committee with information on posts, and detailed recent social media activity for the Outer North West Community Committee Facebook page.
RESOLVED – To note the content of the report.
Date and Time of next meeting
The next meeting of the Outer North West Community Committee will be on Monday 7th March 2022, at 1:30pm.
RESOLVED – That the next meeting of the Outer North West Community Committee will be on Monday 7th March 2022, at 1:30pm. This will take place at Greenacre Hall.
The meeting concluded at 16:25