Agenda and draft minutes

Outer North West Community Committee - Monday, 27th June, 2022 1.30 pm

Venue: Greenacre Hall - 55 New Rd Side, Rawdon, Leeds LS19 6DD

Contact: Debbie Oldham on 0113 37 88656 

Items
No. Item

1.

APPEALS AGAINST REFUSAL OF INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the

press and public will be excluded). (*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against the refusal in inspection of documents.

 

2.

EXEMPT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2   To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3   If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of

exempt information, as follows:-

Minutes:

There were no exempt items.

 

3.

LATE ITEMS

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration (The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)

Minutes:

There were no late items.

 

4.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS’

To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.

Minutes:

No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.

 

5.

Apologies For Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors C Campbell and J Shemilt.

 

6.

Minutes - 7th March 2022 pdf icon PDF 301 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting held on 7th March 2022, for approval as a correct record.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 7th March 2022 be approved as a correct record.

 

7.

Matters arising

Minutes:

Minute 46 – Open Forum

Three residents of the Outer North West Community Committee had attended the meeting to raise concerns in relation to a number of road / traffic issues in the area. They had been invited to attend the next meeting of the Transport Sub-Group. However, the Sub-Group had not taken place, but another was due to be scheduled and they would receive an invite to the meeting.

 

Minute 47 – Finance Update Report.

In relation to the funding of Global C Pack Defibrillators the Committee were advised that the funding for this had been declined and the Communities Team would look to commission the two defibrillators. It was noted that locations had now been identified for them. Minute 9 refers.

 

Cllr Flynn joined the meeting at 1.35pm during this item.

 

8.

Open Forum

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

Minutes:

On this occasion no members of the public were present at the meeting.

 

9.

Outer North West Community Committee Finance Update Report pdf icon PDF 601 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the Head of Locality Partnerships.

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Capital Budget, as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2022/23.

 

Members were informed of the following points:

·  Members were requested to review the minimum conditions in relation to delegated decisions set out at Paragraph 14 of the submitted report. Members noted the Outer North West Community Committee was the only Community Committee to have the following wording under their minimum conditions at 14(b) ‘however should an Elected Member not agree with a matter for delegated decision than this should be deferred to the next meeting of the Community Committee’. Members were of the view that this should remain for the next six months and be monitored to see how many times this was required for delegated decisions.

·  The Executive Board had approved £74,600 for the Wellbeing Fund 2022/23. Table 1 showed a carry forward figure of £14,541.87 bringing the total revenue for 2022/23 to £116,051.87. A full breakdown of projects was listed in Table 1 and there was a remaining balance of £75,333.09

·  Members were requested to consider the following projects in Paragraphs 20– 28 of the report.

Project

Organisation

Amount

Ward

Outcome

Small Grants and Skips

LCC Communities Team

£6,000 (£1,500 per ward)

All Wards

Approved

Community Engagement Budget

LCC Communities Team

£500 (£125 per ward)

All Wards

Approved

Coppice Wood Post and Rail Replacement

Housing Leeds

£4,896

Guiseley and Rawdon

Deferred -  for consultation with ward members

Micklefield Park Cycle Track

LCC Parks and Countryside

£27,716.61(CIL Budget)

Guiseley and Rawdon

Approved

Upgrades to Greenacre Hall (Roofing)

Greenacre Hall Association

£5,000

Guiseley and Rawdon

Approved

Otley and Yeadon CCTV for 2022/23

Leedswatch

£8,000

Otley and Yeadon

Approved

Horsforth CCTV for 2022/23

Leedswatch

£2,000

Horsforth

Approved

 

·  It was noted that at the meeting in March 2022, the Community Committee had awarded £4,500 to Public Access Defibrillators UK to install defibrillators in Guiseley and Rawdon Ward. However, since that meeting the Members were advised that the applicant had declined the funding. It was now proposed that the Communities Team would commission this project internally.

·  Also, at the meeting in March 2022, Members considered 2 projects in principle:

o  £7,917.60 for the 2022/23 Site Based Gardener project for Guiseley and Rawdon Ward. – It was noted that a meeting was to be arranged with Parks and Countryside to discuss this project.

o  £12,000 for new lighting at Guiseley Theatre CIC – It was noted that Guiseley and Rawdon Ward Members were due to meet with Guiseley Theatre CIC on 7th July.

·   Members were asked to note the projects listed at Paragraph 29 of the report, which had been considered and approved by delegated decision since the March meeting. It was noted that no projects had been declined since the last meeting.

·  The Committee were asked to note the Youth Activity Fund had a remaining balance of £54,452.24.

·  Table 3 showed the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Outer North West Community Committee Champions Role Profile pdf icon PDF 342 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the Head of Locality Partnerships.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships updated the Champions Role profile.

 

It was acknowledged that the role and responsibility of a Community Committee Champion was discussed and ratified at the Chairs Forum meeting held in February 2022. However, Cllr B Anderson was under the impression that this was not the final profile for Community Champions and asked that the Communities Team clarified this.

 

RESOLVED – To note the content of the report and the Champions Role profile, when making appointments to each of the themed champions.

 

11.

Outer North West Community Committee Appointments 2022/2023 pdf icon PDF 496 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the City Solicitor.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The City Solicitor presented a report requesting Members to note the appointment of Cllr Eleanor Thomson as Chair of the Community for 2022/23 as agreed at the Annual Council Meeting. It also invited the Committee to make appointments to the positions detailed in section 6 and the appendices of the report.

 

Members were invited to appoint to the following outside bodies and organisations:

·  Bramhope Youth Development Trust

·  Horsforth Live at Home Scheme

·  Yeadon Town Hall CIC

·  Rawdon and Laneshaw Bridge School Trust

·  Children’s Services Clusters

o  Horsforth

o  Extended Services North West (ESNW)

o  Aireborough

o  Otley/Pool/Bramhope

·  Local Housing Advisory Panel

·  Local Care Partnerships

o  Hot Park and Woodsley

o  Aireborough and Aire Valley

·  Community Committee Champions

o  Children’s Services

o  Employment, Skills and Welfare

o  Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care

o  Transport

o  Environment and Community Safety

·  Corporate Parenting Board

 

Members raised concerns in relation to the lack of communication with the Children’s Services clusters. It was noted that those appointed to the Clusters had not received papers for meetings or been invited to meetings. It was acknowledged that this was a conversation had each year in relation to the appointments to the Clusters and that emails sent to Children’s Services went unanswered. The Committee requested someone from Children’s Services attend a future meeting, so Members could be provided with more information in relation to their role to the Clusters.

 

Cllr Downes informed the Committee that he sat on the Board of AVSED in an advisory capacity and so had former councillor Graham Latty. The Board wished to seek another councillor to join the Board in an advisory capacity.  Cllr P Wadsworth said that he would the Board as an advisor.

 

RESOLVED - To note the appointment of Cllr Eleanor Thomson as Chair to the Community Committee for 2022/23, and to appoint the following Members to the positions set out in section 6 of the submitted report:

 

Outside Body / Organisation

No of Places

Appointee

Bramhope Youth Development Trust

1

Cllr B Flynn

Horsforth Live at Home Scheme

1

Cllr E Bromley

Yeadon Town Hall CIC

1

Cllr R Downes

Rawdon and Laneshaw Bridge School Trust – Non-Member Representatives:

Colin Smith, Sarah Samuel, Louise Waddington, John Davies, and Marian Smith

 

1

Cllr J Shemilt

Children’s Services Clusters:

Horsforth

Extended Services North West (ESNW)

Aireborough

 

Otley/Pool/Bramhope

 

 

1

1

 

2

 

2

 

 

Cllr J Garvani

Cllr B Flynn

 

Cllrs P Alderson & R Downes

Cllrs B Anderson & S Lay

Local Housing Advisory Panel

4

Cllr R Downes

Cllr P Wadsworth

Cllr B Anderson

Cllr J Garvani

Local Care Partnerships

Holt Park & Woodsley

Aireborough & Aire Valley

 

1

1

 

Cllr C Anderson

Cllr E Thomson

Community Committee Champions:

Children’s Services

Employment, Skills & Welfare

Health, Wellbeing & Social Care

Transport

Environment & community Safety

 

 

1

1

 

1

 

1

1

 

 

Cllr B Flynn

Cllr R Downes

 

Cllr C Anderson

 

Cllr P Wadsworth

Cllr B Anderson

Corporate Parenting Role

1

Cllr B Flynn

 

 

12.

Outer North West Community Committee Update Report pdf icon PDF 547 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the Head of Locality Partnerships.

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships brought to Members’ attention an update of the work which the Communities Team was engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee.

 

Members were invited to appoint to the following Community Committee Sub-Groups:

·  Community Safety and Environment

·  Children and Families

·  Transport

·  Health

 

An Officer from Housing Leeds was present at the meeting and provided the following information in response to questions from Members:

Estate Walkabouts

·  Estate Walkabout will now be undertaken twice a year. However, should residents or Elected Members require more than two this could be arranged. It was also noted that rather than assessing footpaths yearly this would be incorporated into the mapped walkabout route and checked twice yearly.

·  Housing Leeds are to improve the ‘virtual’ walkabout projects within Your Voice Leeds, to use the learning from this to develop a rotational approach across the city with a quarterly approach within an area team.

·  Members were advised that invites would be sent to residents and Members would be informed in writing of when and where walkabouts were taking place. The walkabouts would be advertised on the Council’s website. It was noted that social media was not used to advertise walkabouts, but this could be something to consider going forward.

·  Members were advised that the decision to reduce the number of walkabouts had been taken at a high level.

·  Members requested that dates and times be provided to them well in advance. They also suggested that 11:00am in the morning might not be a suitable time for most residents, so should consider early evening as more residents may be able to attend.

·  It was suggested that brightly coloured leaflets be dropped to residents which might be better than a letter.

Voids

·  Members were informed that there are a number of voids across the city and Housing are struggling to get back to pre-pandemic targets.

·  Repairs are currently taking up to 20 days and lettings around 10 days. Members were advised that the team were having some difficulty letting certain properties.

·  Members were provided with information on the bidding process.

 

 

The Ward Members for Adel and Wharfedale gave praise to the people putting in insulation in the area. It was recognised, they seemed to be doing a good job and engaging well with the residents.

 

RESOLVED – To note the content of the report and appoint to the following Outer North West Community Committee Sub-Groups:

 

Sub-Group

Number of places

Current appointees

Community Committee Champion

Community Safety & Environment

 

4

Cllr B Anderson

Cllr C Campbell

Cllr J Garvani

Cllr P Alderson

Cllr B Anderson

Children and Families

4

Cllr B Flynn

Cllr J Shemilt

Cllr S Lay

Cllr P Wadsworth

Cllr B Flynn

Transport

4

Cllr P Wadsworth

Cllr B Anderson

Cllr R Downes

Cllr E Bromley

Cllr P Wadsworth

 

Health

4

Cllr C Anderson

Cllr S Lay

Cllr J Shemilt

Cllr E Thomson

Cllr C Anderson

 

13.

Outer North West Community Committee Update on the Leeds 2023 Year of Culture pdf icon PDF 337 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer Economy and Culture.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Bromley left the meeting at 2:50pm at the start of Item on Leeds 2023.

 

 The Chief Officer Culture and Economy submitted a report to provide the Outer North West Community Committee with an update on LEEDS 2023 and to gather input and support from elected members and residents.

Members were shown a presentation as an introduction to the LEEDS 2023 year of culture with a brief background which included the setting up of the Leeds Culture Trust with an independent chair, funding, scrutiny, partnership working and promotion of the year of culture.

Members were informed of the following points:

  • It is the aim of LEEDS 2023 for 75% of Leeds residents to be involved in the events. Some of the events will be free and held in all 33 wards with schools being invited to get involved. The aim is to show the diverse heritage of the city.
  • Economic research has suggested that holding this type of event will attract investment to the city particularly through retail and hospitality.
  • My LEEDS 2023 aims to empower the local communities through partnership and community working. There will be 33 Neighbourhood Hosts with one host recruited from each ward, this will be a paid role as a member of the LEEDS 2023 Team. The role will be as a connector to local residents to access and make the most of the Year of Culture. They will also play a key role in an event called the Weekender.
  • The Weekender will take place for two days in August 2023 animating every ward with neighbourhood events. The aim is to bring together the communities through events such as street parties, cook outs and mini carnivals.
  • Currently the team are holding events in wards to promote the LEEDS 2023 Year of Culture.

 

Member’s discussions included:

  • Need to address all areas within wards such Pool, Arthington and Bramhope.
  • Members suggested that the Team should invite the Parish and Town Councils to get involved.
  • The Team should start communication with the Heads of schools to involve all children to get involved and participate in events.
  • It was noted that the Guiseley Carnival had taken place the weekend prior to the meeting, and no-one had attended from the Leeds 2023 Team. Members were of the view that this was a missed opportunity to engage with people in the area. The Team were advised that Yeadon will hold its carnival on 2nd July and it would be a good opportunity to engage with the community.
  • Members noted that 25-30 people had attended the Guiseley and Rawdon Roadshow to promote the Leeds 2023 Year of Culture.
  • Members were of the view that work was required in older people’s network groups and with the third sector groups.
  • Members acknowledged that the Team wished to communicate with all ward members to access their knowledge and expertise in relation to contacts and groups in the area.
  • Members noted that the position for Neighbourhood Host would be advertised from July with the closing  ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Outer North West Community Committee Youth Activity Fund Consultation Report pdf icon PDF 386 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the Head of Locality Partnerships

Minutes:

The Head of Locality Partnerships submitted a report which provided Members with background and context on the decision not to have a Youth Summit in 2021/22.

 

The report also provided the committee with an update on the Youth Activity Fund Consultation with children and young people which aimed to inform the committee’s Youth Activity Spend for 2022/23.

 

Member’s attention was drawn to Paragraph 18 of the report which showed the most popular activities which included:

1.  Drama

2.  Coding

3.  Outdoor Activities

 

Other activities mentioned were Music, Arts and Crafts, Mixed activity fun days, Cooking, Badminton and Football

 

 

RESOLVED - 

a) Reflections from the last 12 months during the pandemic (Paragraphs 10-13) to be noted

b) Details of the Youth Activity Fund consultation survey (Paragraphs 14-20) be noted

c)That the Youth Activity Fund survey informs the Community Committee’s Youth Activity Fund for 2022/23 to be noted

d)That any projects funded by the Community Committee from the Youth Activity Fund focus on the themes and activity priorities identified in the Youth Activity Fund Consultation Survey be noted

e) That options are explored for a physical Youth Summit in the next municipal year, 2022/23 to inform the Youth Activity Fund spend for 2023/24 be noted.

 

15.

Any other business

Minutes:

Money Buddies

The Committee were advised the application for funding from Money Buddies in March 2022, had been deferred for further information. Members had requested information to find out which postcode area people were accessing this service. Unfortunately, this information was not available.

 

Members were of the view that the Council needed to open up channels for support and advice for residents who need it. 

 

16.

Date and Time of next meeting

To note the date and time of the next Outer North West Community Committee will be on Monday 12th September 2022 at 1.30pm.

Minutes:

To note the next meeting of the Outer North West Community Committee will be on Monday 12th September 2022, at 1.30pm, in Greenacre Hall.

 

 

The meeting concluded at 3.32pm